Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Shattered Kriel of Madrot Marsh - Week 4 Report

Week 4 (of 5) comes to a close and I'm right on track! My kriel is fully painted up to 25pts, and I'm fairly set on what models are being added for the 35pt jump. Without further ado, I present to you the Shattered Kriel of Madrot Marsh, 25pts:

(click for larger)

The current army list is as follows. Models added when moving from 15 to 25 points are highlighted in green:

Grim Angus
* Irontooth the Dire Troll Mauler
* Jurt the Troll Impaler
* Swampfire the Pyre Troll
* (6) Madrot Irregulars (Trollkin Fennblades) [ pic 1 | pic 2 | pic 3 ]
* (4) Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes [ pic 1 | pic 2 ]
* Stone Scribe Chronicler [ pic 1 | pic 2 | pic 3 | close-up on scroll ]
* Whelps

Painting & Modeling:

Madrot Marsh Irregulars (Trollkin Fennblades):


Stone Scribe Chronicler:


I knew that this week's would be the hardest to meet due to so many models (11 medium based infantry), but I really kept my nose to the grindstone. I had friends coming into town for Fri, Sat, and Sun of this week, and we wanted to play some WM/H with them, so I knew that I had to finish the painting and pour the water bases so they had time to set. I *just* made it, finishing up at 1am Friday morning (whee going to work on no sleep!).

The water bases, while awesome, were probably not a wise decision to add to a timed challenge, as that 24hr cure time really makes that deadline come quick! It's worth it for the look, however, and I'm going to continue that theme throughout my Trollbloods.

I did some minimal greenstuff work on this round, adding vines to the krielstone like with my Mauler, if only to make that model a bit more interesting. Once this challenge is done, I have a few really cool conversion ideas for the Bomber and Earthborne, and without a deadline I'm hoping to practice my conversion skills enough to do those great models justice!

I now realize just how much the quatari "plaid" pattern really adds depth to Trollblood models. They all look mediocre to me until I draw on the green lines and add some static grass :D That and other detail work came out nice and added some life to my guys. My Chronicler in particular came out nicely, with some freehand runes drawn on his scrolls.

List-Building & Observations:

I only managed one game this week (see the batrep in the next section), but it confirmed what I'd already predicted about this list.

* Grim is fun, but Mauler-aside I can't deliver much melee hurt with this list. Solution: Add a minimum unit of Champions, and either a Fell Caller or Champion Hero for melee output and assassination. I'm still deciding if the FC or Hero will be a better addition - MAT8 Reach Weaponmaster Thresher, or two Weaponmaster attacks, a spray, and the Fell Calls utility.

* The Fennblade/Stone Scribe Chronicler tarpit did exactly what I'd intended it to do, slow down the enemy's offensive and let me pick off the models I wanted dead. However, I'd like a slightly larger unit for a bigger buff area. Solution: Add a Stone Scribe Elder - I'd rather only have one more Scribe and the Stone Warp abilities than two more Scribes alone.

Battle Report #3, 25pts versus Terminus-led Cryx:

The above list, versus a list of Terminus, 10 Bane Knights, Tartarus, Deathjack, and a Bloat Thrall.

Trollblood Deployment:


Cryx Deployment

The Battle is Met!

The Fennblades charge up and tie down the Banes. Thanks to Terminus' ability, they're all Tough and also have Vengeance. It took about three turns for that middle area to actually clear out, resulting in no living Fennblades and only a couple of living Banes. Success!

The Tarpit Clears Out (After 3 turns of beating each other!)

If you'll notice the DJ's position in the above and below pictures. He was hit with Lock the Target, then Crit Smite'd from a Rage'd Impaler for the full distance, causing him to clip the Bloat Thrall, giving it an astounding amount of damage and causing THAT to blow up, taking the Deathjack to three hits remaining. Great damage rolls all around!

The Deathjack is Far Away

The Endgame

Right at the end, Terminos feated and ripped my army apart thanks to Rampager. Those tokens are his Souls! My Mauler Trampled over thanks to Marked for Death, and with Grim having Rage'd him, brought Terminous to 7 hits left. Then on the next turn, Terminus flew to Grim and with something like 15 Focus, well, yea. Good game, though!

MVP was definitely the Pyre Troll, which managed to set every model in the enemy's army on fire! Tartarus, Deathjack, and Terminus all rolled out their fire and then were relit by that great model!

==============================================

I look forward to putting together my full 35pts this week and will be taking them to war at The Temple in Providence, RI, and possibly elsewhere if Gemini and I end up making some of the trips we've been invited on!

No comments:

Post a Comment