Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Sapphire Guard

So, what do you think of the army name, huh? Pretty sweet, amirite? I know, I know, I'm some sort of genius, it's crazy.Anyways, let's get right to the nitty gritty. No work on the table today (yet again *sigh*) but that's not the priority. Table honestly won't take long once the cross braces are in. No, the priority is definitely my models, because I paint super slow and poorly in general. I enjoyed today's painting, though. It started out boring because I was doing my usual "paint all of one color on every model then move on" technique, and finally I said "FUCK THIS!" because I wasn't going to have anything to show you guys tonight. Before we get to color, though, let's look at the primed and based models! I base my models with regular Elmer'sglue and then dip them into some ballast, the kind of stuff that is sold at hobby stores for trainsets to simulate the gravel under and around the train tracks. Works great as sand!
And here's some of the greenstuff work I did to help hold the banners on the back of my beasts.

First, the Cyclops Savage. This was easy, just two bits of greenstuff over the top of the banner at the points where it was glued to the back of the cyclops, then I sculpted it a little bit to square it off. This will get painted metallic so it looks like it's part of his armor for holding the banner on. (Click for big and slightly easier to see.)
And here's the back of the Gladiator. This was a little harder. I drilled into the bottom of that banner and also into the hole it normally goes into, pinned it, glued it, then used greenstuff to create a similarly shaped holder as the Savage had. Unfortunately, due to the banner only touching the Gladiator at this one point, I couldn't reinforce it any more. I'll just have to be super super careful with this guy. (Again, click for big.)

And finally, colors! Here's one of my paingivers that I finally decided to start slapping the full color scheme onto. This is only the base colors, and they're not all on yet (his pants won't be staying that awful bleached bone, it was an idea I had that I immediately didn't like) and there's no shading or highlights or... well, you get the idea. It's the rough draft!
Hope everyone liked it, and I'd love to hear what you think of the colors! Until next time, same Gemini time, same Gemini channel... man that sounds way better for Batman.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so in favor of those pants! It makes them look like they're in these huge ornate robes with shorts on underneath, walkin' around the desert.

    ReplyDelete